Thursday, July 24, 2008

What a day!

Okay, the day started out great! The boys and I had a fun morning at home just playing. Pop Pop and BeBop came over to watch Micah, so Sam and I could go to his first Astros game. Sam was so excited. 

Sam loved sitting in the big chairs and cheering whenever the Astros did something good. He did whatever his daddy did. If Wes clapped, so did Sam. If Wes yelled, so did Sam. It was really cute. 




Sam and I had to leave the game early because Mom and Dad were cooking at church that night. Of course when Sam and I went to leave, it was pouring! We put a rain jacket on Sam and I took Wes' jacket, off we went to walk 7 blocks the car. The whole time we walked to the car Sam had to tell me over and over again that it was raining. A little worn out when we got to the car and it still pouring, I put Sam in the car on the passenger side and also threw all of our stuff in with him...including the keys. I pushed the unlock button to open my door and then closed Sam in the car. As I walked through the rain around the car to my side, I was thinking I was so glad to finally be dry and heading home. I pulled on the handle, but the door did not open. Great, I didn't hit the button like I thought. So I walked around to where Sam was and tried to open the door, but it didn't open either!
 Panic!!! My child is locked in the car!!! 
Calmly I told Sam to start pushing buttons. He just looked up at me with this sweet face and said, "Okay Mommy". So he started pushing every button on the panel. The window buttons were first, then he finally started pushing the lock button. Trying to explain to a two year which button you want him to push is not easy. 
"Sam, put your finger on the button that you just pushed. Now push the other side of that button." That did not work. I don't even know what I said to get him to push the unlock button, he might have just pushed it by chance. Well...IT DIDN'T WORK!!! 
Okay, stay calm. "Sam, go to Mommy's side." Still pouring outside. 
I told him to just start pushing buttons again. We repeated everything we had done on the passenger side and again he finally pushed the right button. IT DID NOT WORK! 
Starting to panic! 
"Get Mommy's keys and push push those buttons." Still not working. 
Then I called Wes, who is in the game, and told him the problem. He tried to calm me down and said he was on his way. I was thinking at this point we were going to have to break a window because I wanted him out of the car. And all this time people are walking past us and I am trying to not act like I had just locked my child in the car. 
I now needed to get him to slide over the manual lock. Again, explaining this to a two year old is not easy. I told Sam to put his finger on mine and then side his finger down with Mommy's finger. I told him to stop when he got to the black rectangle. His sweet little face smiled so big when he found it. Then I think I yelled, "push it over" and he did it!!! When  I opened the door the alarm was going off, but I was so happy to hug Sam! 

So...
I felt like a terrible mom the rest of the day. Let's hope that was the last oops moment I have with my children. I am sure it isn't, but I can only hope! 


3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh -- I can't IMAGINE the panic! Yay for Sam following your instructions, though! Poor guy -- I'm glad he didn't realize it was a scary situation!

Beck Boys said...

That happened to us with Brazos. It is stressful for us and a little fun for them. Sorry that happened to you but I am glad that it worked out.

Laurie said...

Wow! I'm so amazed that you were able to stay calm! You are a great mom!!!!