Sunday, July 13, 2008

Help!!!

Okay...I need some major advice. I am going to finally really try and potty train Sam. I tried once before. Well, several times actually. Try #1: I tried he had just turned two and I thought this can't be that hard...my child can do this at two! Well....that didn't really work out the way I had planned. Here are some of the pictures. And he also had a really bad haircut in these pictures. 


I put him in big boy underwear which he loved and Monkey even got to wear the big boy underwear! He was really excited about it and wanted to do it. But we were standing by the toilet explaining everything to him and he just started peeing. I thought, he is not ready. He has no idea what the feeling is before he goes to the bathroom and so we decided to wait.
Try #2: I think it was at the beginning of the summer. I decided to put him in big boy underwear again and just stay in the parts of my house that does not have carpet and run him to the bathroom when he started to go. Also I read somewhere to reward them for staying dry. So I would ask him every 30 minutes or so if he was still dry and when he was I would give him an M&M. He went a couple of times on the big boy potty, but I was so distracted with Micah that I decided Micah needed to go to my mom's for me to train Sam. It just seemed like everytime I would go to get something for Micah or feed Micah that is when Sam would wet his pants. Also Micah always wanted the book Sam was trying to read while sitting on the potty. So I was going to wait and give all my attention to Sam. 
So now we are at Try #3. I think Micah was just an excuse and I really need to do this. He knows when he is dirty, he can pull down his shorts, he is really excited about wearing big boy underwear, and I think he wants to do this. I don't know what all the signs are to know if they are ready. He is two and a half right now. 
So HELP!!!! I would love whatever advice or tips you have for doing this. Also how long did it take your kids? How long do I need to plan on staying home and not going anywhere? I know it will be so much better to not be buying diapers for two... but I just have to make myself do this. I don't really know what it is that is holding me back. Please send your advice!!!! 

4 comments:

heatherw said...

I'm not sure if you read my blog where I talked about how much I don't like potty training. Well, I don't. We purposefully waited unless Bowen was older AND it was summertime before we started, because summer means less clothing. My advice is to take him to the potty often but don't make him sit forever waiting to go. I can always tell when my kids are serious about doing business on the potty. I also have a mantra: No playing on the potty, only tee-teeing or pooping on the potty and if Bowen plays we get off and try again later. That means less frustration for me and him. In my opinion, accidents teach them about controling the flow, if you know what I mean. As for pooping, bribery, plain and simple. We bought a GI Joe and put it, unopened above the potty, that really motivated him.

Shauna said...

Ok - so here is what I think about potty training. It is more of a MOMMY commitment than a child commitment. So - commit a week of your life. Solely to potty training. Take them every hour or less. Make them do it. And BRIBERY. MAJOR PLAYER IN THE GAME. DEFINITELY BRIBE HIM!!!

Love you friend.

SheridanLeftwich said...

You don't know me probably. But I know Wes from college. I stumbled on you blog from Katy Garner (she is my sister n law). So I would normally say oh I don't know them and move on but I caught a glimpse of your problem and thought I had to comment so please forgive me.

I have officially potty trained all four of my children and let me just tell you it is my least favorite parenting task. I love staying home with my children and I love being a mom but that potty training just stinks. So here is what I think I have learned. Until my kids woke up dry from night time and nap, I didn't think they were ready. I also waited until they could follow a two step command like: Get your shoes and throw this in the trash. I also made sure they knew how to turn it on and off. (Being able to do these things made it a lot easier. Someone else told me that.:)) Once they could do these things I would start. Then I would set the timer to go off every thirty minutes. If they went they got a treat of their choice. (something out of our candy basket) Big boy underwear were better than pull ups because they could feel when they went. By the third day(by this time I was sure that they knew what to do and that if they made a mistake it was because they were being lazy and not wanting to stop playing), I began telling them "Do not potty in your underwear. If you do you will be in trouble." They usually only got in trouble one or two times and the chore was done for good. Awe freedom again. :)

I hope this helps. I remember the first time I potty trained a boy (my daughter was a cinch and pretty much potty trained herself)and being so frustrated. The work is way worth the reward. Good luck this week. You'll have to have Wes watch the kids in the evening one night so you can escape for just a little bit. I remember hating being stuck in the house. :)

Blessings,
Sheridan Leftwich

Amy B. said...

I have no wisdom to impart...sorry!

But the sandals in your last post are WAY cute! =)