Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Things I Wasn't Prepared to Say to My Kids

I'm going to try to add to this one as often as I have these moments. There were things I was prepared for as a dad - roughhousing, dirtiness, loudness, lots of energy, general boy stuff. There have been, and will continue to be, many moments like these. The following are a couple of those comments that caught me by surprise. If you've got any of your own, post them for me to read.


1) "Sam! Don't hit your brother with a hammer!" Sam has a toy hammer that makes sounds when you hit it on something. He tried it out on the wall, a coffee table, my head, then his little brother. Micah is tough.

2) "Sam, you can't stand on Micah." I think this one is pretty self-explanatory, eh?



3) "Dirt doesn't taste too good, does it?" Sometimes, a dad has to let his son learn these things for himself.









As boys, it's our job to try out how things taste. Dirt - scratch one more off the list (which includes mulch, leaves, crayons, ...).









As dads, it's our job to watch, encourage, enjoy, remember, keep 'em safe and clean 'em up afterward. Dads are big boys in nice clothes ready to mud it up if their sons get that look on their faces.

No comments: