Sunday, April 18, 2010

Soccer: Game 2

Sam had his second soccer game yesterday.
It was Grandparents Day, so BeBop and Gigi were both there to cheer him on!


But...we had a little problem. First, Sam was super tired because he had gotten up at 4:30am with a bad dream and then got up at 6:45am for the day. Also he didn't have a great practice the day before. He is confused in what he suppose to do when he is on field. So he cried during practice on Friday. Well, all this combined didn't help at all on Saturday. We are learning that Sam doesn't like to have the attention on him. If you remember back to his christmas program
back in December, he didn't want to perform in front of everyone. Well, during the game when Mom and I started cheering for him... the tears started flowing and flowing...and they didn't stop. He cried for about the first half the game and rest of the game he just watched.
So...we are trying to figure out where to go from here. We don't want him to quit, but also don't want him make him do something that he hates. This is one of those times that you wish your kids came with instructions. We are going to practice with him LOTS and hope that the next game will turn out different.

Micah had a great time during the game playing with both Gigi and BeBop!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww...I can so relate to this! Just hang in there. Both of my boys spent more time on the sideline than in the game their first season. Connor had an especially hard time! He cried pretty much every single game, and would only play if holding Derek's hand on the field. Now, 4 years later, he LOVES soccer. But it definitely took awhile! I wouldn't let Connor quit (and I really don't think he ever asked to quit), but I was always surprised when he wanted to play the next season. Hang in there! It will (hopefully) get better!

audrey 'business suit' johnson said...

As you know, I don't have babies, BUT I'm very immature, so I can sometimes THINK like a baby (or precious 4 yr. old boy). I bet he was just WEEEEAAALLL tired at the game. I know when I get real tired, I cry a LOT, and usually for no reason at all. I think you're doing the right thing - practice with him a lot and remind him how much FUN! SOCCER! IS!!!!

PS - I miss you guys a LOT. We need to talk, pronto.